Can’t seem to make it to the gym these days? Lack of time? Lack of sleep? Not motivated? Stop with the excuses, and let these 30 lazy-girl-approved fitness hacks to get you started or keep you on track all year long.
1. Keep it short: Always opt for a short and intense workout over a longer one where you don’t push yourself. HIIT it, then quit it.
2. Get it out of the way: Start your day with a workout so you don’t have a chance to skip it later. This one is great for all the procrastinating lazy ladies out there.
3. Two birds, one stone: Cardio and strength training don’t have to happen separately. Combine them in one workout like this 30-minute printable for a killer workout.
4. Hit the floor: Yes, you can lie on the floor and still get an awesome workout. These lazy-girl-approved moves are proof.
5. Double TV time: Your commercial breaks are mini workouts that add up after an hour or two of your favorite shows. Try this three-minute workout the next time you want to binge on the tube.
6. Socialize: Grab friends for your next class. Scheduling a fitness date will make you more likely to stick with the game plan. No one likes to bail on someone they love.
7. Pack up early: Get your gear ready to go the night before your workout. That way you don’t have to rush around right before your workout . . . or end up skipping it altogether.
8. Change your commute: Ride your bike or walk for a portion or all of your commute. Makings things active will help you burn calories and keep you off public transportation for as long as possible.
9. Multitask the mundane: You can always sneak in some exercise. Move throughcalf raises when you’re standing in a long line or waiting for the bus, and move through this two-minute workout you can do while brushing your teeth.
10. Enjoy your snack: The right pre-workout snack can fuel you up for better performance at your next workout. Try one of these and enjoy.
11. Go slow: You don’t have to look like the Energizer Bunny during every workout. Turn up the resistance, slow things down, and you’ll feel the burn big-time.
12. Drink up: More water helps your body burn more fat, and being properly hydrated improves your workout performance. Sip on H2O all day long.
13. Make it routine: When your workout feels like second nature, you won’t be as tempted to skip it. Keep your routine consistent every week, and start feeling results.
14. Lift a little: If you’re all cardio and no strength training, you’re not going to see the changes you’re after. These beginner-friendly dumbbell exercises are a great place to start.
15. Go for 10: Even if you’re not going to commit to a full workout, take 10 minutes and work out with one of these videos. Short workouts still count!
16. Stay caffeinated: Too tired to hit the gym? Turn up with a few sips of coffee or green tea. You’ll get your energy back on track, and caffeine has been linked to better workout performance.
17. Cruise your feed: Start following fitness stars like Kayla Itsines and Hannah Bronfman, who will fill up your Instagram feed with a ton of motivation. It’s hard not to want to work out after looking at these ladies!
18. Hire outside help: Sign up for boutique classes with an awesome instructor, or hire a personal trainer for a handful of sessions at the gym. They’ll keep you on track and revitalize your routine.
19. Reward yourself: All work with no reward does not suit the lazy girl. Whether it’s a piece of chocolate, new gear, or one hour of pure relaxation, give yourself a gold star after you put in the work.
20. Stay in bed: You need those seven to nine hours every night to keep you energized throughout the day and during your workout — just another good excuse to linger a little longer.
21. Download the Fitocracy app: Gamify your workouts and make it more fun.
22. Wear the right workout clothes: You’ll feel so much more firm and streamlined in your body-hugging workout clothes that you’ll actually enjoy putting them on.
23. Make a schedule and stick to it: The first month is crucial to sticking with it because it’s the hardest. So clear your schedule and don’t flake out on yourself. Once you start to build strength and endurance, you’ll see results. That will be enough motivation to keep going.
24. Start exercising by running for just one minute: Add another minute each day. If you’re an absolute beginner, with this method, you’ll be running for a full 30 minutes by the end of the month.
25. Improve your ability to talk and run at the same time: It regulates your breath, ensures that you’re not overexerting yourself, and keeps your mind off the pain you’re enduring.
26. Make your playlists as long as you plan to exercise: It helps you keep you from constantly glancing at the timer.
27. Always keep a stocked-up gym bag in your car: A good gym bag should include a workout outfit, appropriate shoes, headphones, backup MP3 player, a bottle of water, deodorant, and face wipes. Also possibly donuts. Definitely donuts.
28. If you’re an early-morning exerciser, go to sleep in your workout clothes: You’ll waste no time in the morning.
29. Add frozen fruits to your water: It’ll keep your water cold and add flavour at the same time.
30. Wear a weighted vest while running errands: A weighted vest can help you burn calories while doing normal activities like walking to work or buying groceries. Here’s one that’s thin enough to wear under your regular clothes.